Welcome, and congratulations on starting your journey as a Skyhook Ninja! Now that you will be training with us it is time to get you up to speed and start in our belting system.
1. Getting your Skyhook ninja belt: You will receive your belt upon taking your first class as a member! When you come in for that class, tell the front desk ninjas it is your first class as an official Skyhook ninja. They will make sure your belt is cut and given to your teacher. The belt is presented to the ninja during class, usually at the end.
2. Each ninja decides how quickly they will advance by learning, practicing and progressing through the Skyhook belt curriculum and taking the minimum number of classes needed at each level. The entire Skyhook Ninja curriculum is posted on the grey wall, next to the water fountains, by the monkey space.
3. Our class schedule is both online and at the front desk. It changes seasonally. The classes are color coded to indicate the class’ age range and subject. The classes also have a level indication to indicate what belt the ninjas are expected to have to be in the class i.e. how difficult the class will be. L1 is white belt, L2 is yellow and each level corresponds to a belt. Getting all the way up to Black belt, L8.
*Due to Covid-19, all classes 6+ are all ages and skill levels. We will get back to differentiating when we return to normalcy.
4. For a ninja to make their way through the belting system they will need to earn all 6 tapes for each belt. The tapes are: Strength, Gymnastics, Climbing, Parkour, Ninja, and, to be earned after the athletic tapes, the Courtesy Creed and Respect tape.
5. A Ninja earns each tape by mastering the skills required for the tape at their level, and testing for it during a tape week in the class that corresponds to the tape e.g. parkour tapes are awarded during parkour class. Make sure the ninja asks the coach for a tape test before or at the beginning of class.
6. Tape weeks and skill weeks alternate. The week in Skyhook’s tape and skill week calendar begins on Monday and goes until Sunday. Which week it is is posted around the gym. Look Out for our Tape week, skills week signs.
7. Once a ninja earns all of their athletic tapes, they are eligible to earn their Courtesy Creed and Respect tape. They do this after taking a class on a tape week, by going to the front desk, accompanied by their parents, and with exemplary ninja behavior they ask to test for their white tape. The front desk ninjas will ask the ninja a few questions, will ask their parents a few questions and if the ninja passes, they will receive their white tape at that level.
*Please note, white tapes are the only tapes that can be taken away and ninjas must continue to demonstrate good white tape behavior to stay eligible for testing.*
8. Once a ninja has all of the tapes on their belt, and feel they can demonstrate the skills for their level, they may register for belt testing. Each testing level has an associated cost. Sign the belt testing list at the front desk and wait for Skyhook to call you to go over options for testing times. The tests are organized in small groups of ninjas going for the same promotion. The tests per belt are determined to service everyone as regularly and fairly as possible.
9. Belt testing is Saturday at either 4:00pm or 5:00pm and you will know in advance what Saturday and which time your your ninja is going. All ninjas should expect to be there the entire time-one hour. If a ninja has things to work on before receiving their next belt they will get a skills check sheet detailing what they must do before they get to the next level. If they pass outright, congratulations and this whole process repeats at the next level! Back to step number one!